Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sculpture

Artist Collaborate:

Did you ask another student for feedback during your work process?

Towards the end of my piece i wasn't sure if i wanted to leave the book uncolored or if i should add illustrations that also revolve around Alice in Wonderland. I was indecisive because i liked the look of the text, but i wanted to add color to make it more clear of what the carving was actually of. My friend later suggested that i use color, but color lightly. This way the text would still be visible. I also asked my friends their opinions on simple things such as, what color to make a certain part.

Did someone help you understand important information or inspire you?

A friend of mine loves making book carvings. It's one of her main mediums. If i had a question on what to do i would always turn to her since she was an expert of sorts. She suggested i use a cutting board under each section to make sure i don't cut too far. This helped me out A LOT considering before i would always cut too far and instead of being able to stop i would have to continue cutting deeper. She also suggested i cut less sheets at once to avoid getting fuzzy pieces, but no matter how hard i try the pages still got fuzzy -___- . Regardless, her assistance was much appreciated.

Artists Develop Art Making Skills:

Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?

Book carving was something i had always wanted to try. Every piece looked really interesting and cool, so when the chance to try it myself came along, i took the opportunity. I learned book carving isn't too horribly difficult, but it is EXTREMELY time consuming, and lets face it, I can be extremely lazy sometimes. This project not only taught me the basic techniques needed for book carving, it also taught me to be a little bit more patient.

Did you gain skill with familiar materials?

There aren't many materials needed for book carving besides an exato-knife, a cutting board, and, obviously, a book. I had already used an exato-knife numerous times, so there wasn't really an opportunity to learn new skills with familiar materials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment