Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Art Journaling


"Pick a song and lyric and base a page around it"

I chose the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by The Beatles. I started with a drawing of "a girl with kaleidoscope eyes"  (lyric from the song) and incorporated other parts of the song such as "tangerine trees" and "cellophane flowers of yellow and green".

Artists Creates Original Art:
How did you use your own unique ideas in your work?
The song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" has a lot of imaginary images such as, "marmalade skies" and "tangerine trees". These unique lyrics gave me the ability to make whatever i wanted out of the lyrics. I interoperated "tangerine trees" as literally a tangerine slice growing out from grass. Everything the song described allowed me to make my own original versions.

Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original?
Once again as stated before, i used the song as inspiration. I took the lyrics and made literal versions of everything described. The unusual lyrics allowed me to make new and original art.

Artist Develops Art Making Skills:
Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?
Before this project, i had heard of art journaling but never thought to consider it. I am extremely glad for this project because i discovered that i really enjoy art journaling. Its quick, simple and easy which makes it really fun. I can even incorporate other pieces i have already made such as, the "a girl with kaleidoscope eyes" drawing i made which i incorporated. 

Did you gain skill with familiar materials?
I didn't really learn new physical skills, but i learned a new way of looking at things. For example, I decided to use a lego dipped in paint to make the little dots all over the page. Never before had i looked at a lego and thought "wow this would make a great stamp". Using unconventional materials is another thing i really enjoy about art journaling.

No comments:

Post a Comment